Wednesday 30 May 2012

A Simple Fast and Good Barbecue Sauce

On more than one occasion I have gone to the refrigerator to grab a bottle of barbecue sauce only to realize that I had none. This is one of the side effects of grilling out four or five times a week and if that's as bad as it gets then life is pretty good. When this does happen I whip up a quick batch of my homemade barbecue sauce from simple kitchen ingredients and am back at the grill in less than five minutes.
I am not going to tell you that my barbecue sauce is the best in the world. My personal favorite sauce at the moment is Sweet Baby Ray and quite honestly I buy that sauce because I think it is better than mine. However, if you are looking for something that is good, fast and easy then this sauce recipe is absolutely for you.
I start with half a cup of ketchup and add two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, two tablespoons of cider vinegar and two tablespoons of honey. I stir the mixture with a fork and heat it in the microwave on high for one minute. The mix gets stirred again and heated for another thirty seconds. At this point the sauce is pretty tasty and good to use on some grilled chicken or country style ribs. This basic sauce can be prepared from scratch in less than five minutes.
If you want to fine tune this recipe to better suit your taste then that is also very easy. If you are not a fan of Worcestershire sauce then that is easily substituted with another salty brown liquid such as Kitchen Bouquet or low sodium soy sauce. If you do not like vinegar then the juice of one large lemon would be a great substitute.
When I want the sauce to be thicker I will replace the liquid honey with three tablespoons of brown sugar. If I want the sauce to have some heat then two teaspoons of ground black pepper is a nice touch. If you want some heat with a little complex flavor then a tablespoon of chili garlic sauce or a tablespoon of chili powder would be perfect.
If you are cooking on a gas grill then you may want to consider adding a teaspoon of liquid smoke to your sauce. This will add a depth of flavor similar to what you would get by cooking over charcoal. If you do decide to add a some liquid smoke do not use more than a teaspoon as a little goes a long way.
Regardless of which variation you choose this sauce is easily prepared in just a few minutes and can be a lifesaver when your bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce is empty.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6975403

No comments:

Post a Comment